Shoulder surfing occurs when someone watches over your shoulder to nab valuable information such as your password, ATM PIN, or credit card number, as you key it into an electronic device. When the snoop uses your information for financial gain, the activity becomes identity theft.
What is “shoulder surfing”?
- Shoulder surfing is an effective technique to obtain someone’s personal information when standing in a crowded space, such as when the victim is entering a PIN at the cash machine/ATM, filling out a form, or paying with a credit card.
- 1 What is shoulder surfing in social engineering?
- 2 Which statement accurately describes how Pharming is accomplished?
- 3 What common password character combinations do users tend to use when creating passwords?
- 4 What is shouldering in computing?
- 5 Is shoulder surfing a form of social engineering?
- 6 How is shoulder surfing used?
- 7 Which best defines social engineering?
- 8 What is social engineering give an example?
- 9 Which statement explains why vishing is successful?
- 10 What are the best practices for defining a strong password?
- 11 What is a common method used in social engineering cyber awareness 2020?
- 12 Which of the following will help detect and prevent any social engineering threats?
- 13 What does the term shoulder surfing mean?
- 14 What is shouldering also known as?
- 15 What is a defense against shoulder surfing answer?
Shoulder surfing is actually a form of social engineering. It basically means an unauthorized third party is able to view a screen and any confidential data displayed on an electronic device. You can also protect against shoulder surfing using a privacy screen for your computer.
Which statement accurately describes how Pharming is accomplished?
Which statement accurately describes how pharming is accomplished? The user is directed to a fake web site as a result of modification of local host files, which are used to convert URLs to the appropriate IP address. What common password character combinations do users tend to use when creating passwords?
What common password character combinations do users tend to use when creating passwords?
The most common passwords include 123456, password, 12345678, qwerty, 12345 and football. Strong passwords will: Be at least 8 characters long. Use a combination of upper and lower case letters, symbols and numbers.
What is shouldering in computing?
Shouldering is looking at someone’s information over their shoulder, for example looking at someone enter their PIN in a shop or at a cashpoint. A person can prevent this by using their hand to cover the keypad as they type their PIN, or being aware of people around them when typing in PINs.
In computer security, shoulder surfing is a type of social engineering technique used to obtain information such as personal identification numbers (PINs), passwords and other confidential data by looking over the victim’s shoulder.
How is shoulder surfing used?
Shoulder surfing is a criminal practice where thieves steal your personal data by spying over your shoulder as you use a laptop, ATM, public kiosk or other electronic device in public. Despite the funny name, it’s a security risk that can cause a financial wipeout.
Social engineering is the term used for a broad range of malicious activities accomplished through human interactions. It uses psychological manipulation to trick users into making security mistakes or giving away sensitive information. Social engineering attacks happen in one or more steps.
Examples of social engineering range from phishing attacks where victims are tricked into providing confidential information, vishing attacks where an urgent and official sounding voice mail convinces victims to act quickly or suffer severe consequences, or physical tailgating attacks that rely on trust to gain
Which statement explains why vishing is successful?
Vishing is successful because people tend to trash information that might be used in a penetration attempt. Vishing is successful because of the trust that individuals place in the telephone system.
What are the best practices for defining a strong password?
Password Best Practices
- Never reveal your passwords to others.
- Use different passwords for different accounts.
- Use multi-factor authentication (MFA).
- Length trumps complexity.
- Make passwords that are hard to guess but easy to remember.
- Complexity still counts.
- Use a password manager.
Phishing attacks are the most common type of attacks leveraging social engineering techniques. Attackers use emails, social media, instant messaging and SMS to trick victims into providing sensitive information or visiting malicious URLs in the attempt to compromise their systems.
Five Ways to Protect Yourself:
- Delete any request for personal information or passwords. Nobody should be contacting you for your personal information via email unsolicitedly.
- Reject requests for help or offers of help.
- Set your spam filters to high.
- Secure your devices.
- Always be mindful of risks.
What does the term shoulder surfing mean?
shoulder surfing in British English noun. informal. a form of credit-card fraud in which the perpetrator stands behind and looks over the shoulder of the victim as he or she withdraws money from an automated teller machine, memorizes the card details, and later steals the card. Collins English Dictionary.
What is shouldering also known as?
Also known as shouldering, shoulder surfing describes a person that looks over another person’s shoulder as they enter data into a computer or another device. Shoulder surfing could be used when you are entering your computer password, ATM pin, or credit card number.
What is a defense against shoulder surfing answer?
In order to protect yourself from shoulder surfing, you should take precautions when entering personal information into devices or filling out forms in public. Angle your computer or cell phone screen so that other people cannot see what you are typing. Use a privacy screen to make your screen less visible to others.