What is down the line?
- down the line. 1. Also, all along the line. All the way, throughout. For example, We’ve found numerous errors down the line. The first term dates from the mid-1900s, the variant from the second half of the 1800s.
- 1 What are some surfing terms?
- 2 How do you ride up and down a wave?
- 3 What do surfers say when the waves are good?
- 4 What is a surfer girl called?
- 5 What do you call a female surfer?
- 6 Why do surfers say gnarly?
- 7 When should you not go surfing?
- 8 Do I surf left or right?
- 9 What does Lola mean in surfing?
- 10 Why do barrels spit?
- 11 What is some surfer slang?
What are some surfing terms?
Speak like a surfer? 40 surfing terms and phrases you should know
- Wipeout. The act of falling from your board when riding a wave.
- Leggie. A legrope or lease.
- Pocket. The area of the wave that’s closest to the curl or whitewash.
How do you ride up and down a wave?
Put a bit more weight on the inside rail. For example, if you want to go left, you should use your left hand to slightly push down the left rail into the water. This will help give your surfboard direction and momentum to go left before you stand up.
What do surfers say when the waves are good?
When the waves are good, it’s said to be cranking. This is the art of walking up and down a longboard, foot over foot. When you see some guy / gal running up and down their board, you’ll now know what to call it. Making a cutback is reversing the direction that you are surfing in one smooth fluid move.
What is a surfer girl called?
There is no specific term for a female surfer. You can call a girl who surfs just “surfer”, although, there are terms like gurfer, wahine that are used to refer to a female surfer.
What do you call a female surfer?
Wahine – Female surfer. Wave Hog – Someone who catches many waves and doesn’t share with others.
Why do surfers say gnarly?
Gnarly means “treacherous.” An acceptable synonym is “hairy.” Surf punks use gnarly to refer to any wave over two feet or any woman of prodigious size.
When should you not go surfing?
When You Are Physically Unfit Just as you would not walk up a mountain if you were untrained and physically unfit, you should not go surfing if you are not fit. Between trying to get past the break and into the back, to moving around the bay to find the best position, surfing is constant work.
Do I surf left or right?
Your surfing stance determines which foot is in front of the other when you stand-up on your surfboard. Regular footed surfers ride waves with their left foot forward, and goofy footed surfers ride waves with their right foot forward. Keep in mind, there is no right or wrong surfing stance.
What does Lola mean in surfing?
So, you want to track swell like a forecaster? Then it’s high-time you get to know LOLA, Surfline’s proprietary buoy reporting system. NDBC collects offshore swell data and displays the dominant swell height and period. This is great for mariners, but surfers may need a bit more detail.
Why do barrels spit?
At a critical point when the pressure becomes too high for the limited space within the barrel, the air and spray are discharged by taking the path of least resistance and “spitting” out the open end of the wave.
What is some surfer slang?
31 Surf Slangs – Friendly List of Surfer Lingo and Terms
- #1 – Surfer’s froth. When you are ready to get better at surfing, you will feel excited.
- #2 – Duck dive. The duck dive is a way for people to use their surfboards to go under waves.
- #3 – Kook.
- #4 – Goofy Footed vs.
- #5 – Pocket.